- Support Center
Free Online Tools
There are always problems of NVIDIA installer failed when we install NVIDIA graphics driver on Windows 10, such as "The Standard NVIDIA Graphics Driver Is Not Compatible with This Version of Windows".
Recently, we find that it's easier to encounter NVIDIA installer failed problem on Windows Version 1507 (RTM) (OS build 10240). Users even fail to install Nvidia graphics drivers using the original installer package from Nvidia official site. Therefore, Driver Booster users may meet this problem as well when updating Nvidia graphics drivers. We still find that NVIDIA installer failed problem occurs on Windows Version 1803 (OS build 17134) and above.
Many factors can cause NVIDIA installer failed problem, while system incompatibility is one most important factor. Other main factors include: 1. the system is running a program related to Nvidia installer in the background; 2. Windows Update is working; 3. Incompatibility among different driver types.
You can also read The Best Way to fix Nvidia driver install failed and update Nvidia drivers on Windows 10 to learn more factors that may cause Nvidia installer failed.
In order to fix Nvidia installer failed, we provide 3 solutions to help users solve this problem.
Preparation Work (Before fixing Nvidia Installer Failed problem, you should follow this step.)
1. To avoid any unexpected problems, we strongly recommend creating a system restore point before you start the fix. (The system restore point allows you to get your system back to a previous status.)
Steps: run Driver Booster > Tools - Rescue Center > System Restore > Create Restore Point
2. Meanwhile, you need to know the system version of Windows 10 on your computer. Please press "Windows + R" key, inter “Winver”, then click Enter to check the Version/Build of your system. The number in the first red frame is your system version, while the number in the second red frame is the Build.
If your system version is 1507, the build is 10240, please try Solution 1, otherwise please try Solution 2.
Solution 1: Upgrade Windows (for Windows 10 Version 1507 Users)
- Press 'Windows + I' key, open Windows 10 Settings then select 'Update & Security'
- Click 'Check for updates' in options of Windows Update
- During the updating process, the system might restart several times. Don't disrupt it until Windows Update is completed.
Please check if there is any antivirus program installed on the system after Windows Update is completed. Antivirus programs can influence the installation of graphics drivers. So you should close antivirus programs before starting to fix Nvidia installer failed.
- After closing Antivirus programs, please use Driver Booster to update Nvidia graphics drivers.
The installer failed problem occurs on Windows Version 1803 (OS build 17134) and above mainly because of the incompatibility between NVIDIA Standard driver and DCH driver. To learn more about FAQs of NVIDIA Standard and DCH driver, you can go to NVIDIA official site: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4777
According to NVIDIA, you can’t install NVIDIA Standard driver and DCH driver on one computer at the same time. Driver Booster provides only NVIDIA Standard drivers for now. If users install DCH drivers on the computer and use Driver Booster to update NVIDIA graphics drivers, the update will fail. In the near future, Driver Booster will support DCH driver update to fix Nvidia Installer Failed problem.
You can use these two methods to check if you install DCH drivers on your computer:
Method 1: Use NVIDIA Control Panel
NVIDIA Control Panel -> System Information -> Driver Type
Method 2: Through Registry Editor
Step 1 press “Windows + R”, enter “regedit” to open Registry Editor
Step 2 if there is “DCHUVen” listed in the Registry list, it means NVIDIA DCH Driver is installed on your computer.
When you know which type of NVIDIA graphics Driver is installed on your PC, you can choose from the two solutions to fix Nvidia Installer Failed problem.
Solution 2.1 Uninstall DCH drivers, then install Standard drivers
If you have DCH drivers on your computer, the easiest way to solve this problem is to “Ignore” the detected NVIDIA graphics Drivers. But you will not get the future updates of NVIDIA graphics drivers.
If you still want the driver updates in the future, please try Solution 2.1.1 to fix this problem.
Solution 2.1.1：Uninstall your graphics drivers and NVIDIA Control Panel
Step 1 use Device Manager to uninstall NVIDIA DCH drivers
- Press “Windows + R”, enter “devmgmt.msc” to open Device Manager
- Drop down “Display adapters”, right click on NVIDIA graphics drivers to start the uninstallation. (make sure to select “Delete the driver software for this device”)
- Drop down “Sound, video and game controllers”, right click on NVIDIA High Definition Audio to uninstall it. (ditto, make sure to select “Delete the driver software for this device”)
Step 2: If NVIDIA Control Panel is installed on your PC, you can use Windows Apps to remove it.
- Press “Windows + I” to open Windows 10 settings, choose “Apps”
- Search for NVIDIA Control Panel in the Installed Apps list and then uninstall it
We strongly recommend IObit Uninstaller to you to easily remove NVIDIA Control Panel without leftovers.
Download IObit Uninstaller from here: https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php
- Install IObit Uninstaller, find NVIDIA Control Panel in “Windows Apps” category, then click “Uninstall”
- During the uninstallation, please select “Create a restore point before uninstall”
- Restart the computer after the uninstall is completed and go to Solution 2.1.2
Solution 2.1.2: Use Driver Booster to update NVIDIA graphics drivers or download the drivers from NVIDIA official site manually
- Use Driver Booster to update NVIDIA graphics drivers with one click
Step 1: Check if there is an antivirus program running on your computer, close it temporarily because antivirus influences the driver update.
Step 2: Use Driver Booster to update NVIDIA graphics drivers and see if it works well.
- If the update fails with Driver Booster, please download and install the drivers from NVIDIA official site manually.
Step 1: Go to the NVidia drivers download page here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
Step 2: Choose and download the right drivers according to the graphics and system on your computer.
Step 3: After the download is finished, run the driver installer package, select “Custom (Advanced)” and click “NEXT”
Step 4: Select “Perform a clean installation”, then click “NEXT” to start the installation
Step 5: Restart the system after the installation is finished and check if everything runs well. If the problem remains, please go to Solution 2.2.
Solution 2.2 Manually download and install DCH drivers from NVIDIA official site
If you want to continue using DCH drivers instead of replacing them to Standard drivers, you can only go to NVIDIA official site to update DCH drivers manually. This way, you will not get the latest updates automatically with Driver Booster but manually update those drivers every time when there is an update.
Go to the NVidia drivers download page here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
- Select the right driver according to the graphics and system types. (Note: you must select "DCH” in Windows Driver Type)
- Then download and install the original installer package, check if everything runs well.
Solution 3: Reinstall Windows
If both Solution 1 and 2 can not help you fix Nvidia installer failed, it might be related to your system environment. We suggest you reinstall Windows 10.
Reference URL for reinstalling Windows 10: